Monday, March 13, 2017

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Russian President Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin personally invited Sergey Alexandrovich Karjakin to join the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation as a member, and Russian (Ukrainian-born) chess Grandmaster decided to accept the call.

Pictured above is Putin’s invitation letter to Karjakin, dated February 21, 2017, which Sergey Alexandrovich decided to post on his own public Twitter account only today. Photo: Sergey Alexandrovich Karjakin (@SergeyKaryakin).

“I accepted the offer for more reasons. First, I deeply respect Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin as a strong President and a sincere supporter of chess and chess players, so, due to his personal invitation to me, it would seem to me wrong to refuse”, Karjakin told TASS correspondent Andrey Fyodorovich Kartashov. “Secondly, as a professional, I feel the duty to popularize and develop chess wherever and whenever I may be needed”.

Sergey Alexandrovich Karjakin
Photo: Oleg Zotov/TASS

No comments: