Friday, October 21, 2016

Another Way of Seeing

“If I’ve returned, and I’m risking my neck by doing so, it’s because of the promise I made to Martín. I must find the lawyer and then Señora Isabela and that boy, Daniel, and protect them”.
“How?”.
“I don’t know. I’ll think of something. Any suggestions?”.
“But you don’t even know them. They’re just strangers that a man you met in prison told you about...”.
“I know. When you put it that way it sounds crazy, doesn’t it?”.
The priest was looking at him as if he could see through his words.
“Might it not be that you’ve seen so much misery and so much evil among men that you want to do something good, even if it’s madness?”.
“And why not?”.
Valera smiled. The priest took the glass with the untouched drink from Fermín’s hands and knocked it back.
“I knew God believed in you”.

“Se sono tornato, giocandomi la testa, è per la promessa che ho fatto a Martín. Devo cercare quell’avvocato e poi la signora Isabella e il bambino, Daniel, e proteggerli”.
“Come?”.
“Non lo so. Qualcosa mi verrà in mente. Si accettano suggerimenti”.
“Ma lei non li conosce nemmeno. Sono solo degli estranei di cui le ha parlato un uomo che ha conosciuto in carcere...”.
“Lo so. Detta così sembra una pazzia, non è vero?”.
Il prete lo guardava come se potesse vedere attraverso le sue parole.
“Non sarà che ha visto così tanta miseria e così tanta meschinità fra gli uomini che adesso vuol fare qualcosa di buono, anche se è una pazzia?”.
“E perché no?”.
Valera sorrise.
“Lo sapevo che Dio credeva in lei”.

Carlos Ruiz Zafón, “Il prigioniero del cielo”, 2012, Mondadori, Milano, p. 201

Artwork © malta

No comments: